Thursday, March 09, 2006




Time: 10:15am
Location: Kitchen--where else?
Weight: unknown--not worried

So today for the first time, I felt well enough to actually make myself breakfast. It was a miracle in itself.

While I was tooling around in the fridge looking for the bacon (yes that's right I said bacon--2 slices in fact and two eggs!) I came across a familiar white box. Now this little white box has some back story to it.

A very skinny co-worker of mine is getting married in a few months. She is a fitness and food freak --literally--the girl is the size of a toothpick. After months of working across from her, I finally figured out how she stayed so skinny (and forgive me here because I actually think she may have had an eating/workout mental issue)--she eats absolutely nothing but cereal for breakfast and carrot sticks and celery for lunch. I think I saw her eat some fish for dinner one night about a year ago but that is it. Apparently she and her fiance aren't the best cooks in the world so they have a lot of junk food in their apartment. She in particular has a very strong sweet tooth, especially for things like Starbursts and Salt Water Taffy. I am betting that's where most of her caloric intake comes from, but good lord. CARROT STICKS AND CELERY? That can't be healthy every single day? Can it???

Anyway back to the box...as I said before this co-worker of mine has a huge sweet tooth. Around Christmas time the office is a deadly place for a dieter like me to be. There are cookies, chocolate, candy, cake --all brought in by this toothpick of a girl. (Hmm starting to think there is a conspiracy here...) Now a few weeks ago, I came home to a box on my front stoop. My boyfriend ran out and got it and we half heartedly sliced into the packaging. As we did so this gorgeous red box tied with a ribbon peeked out. On the front were the names of my co-worker and her husband-to-be and wrapped neatly inside was a postcard size buttercream cookie from m Edibles Inc.



This is an example of their work--that picturesque little white framed thing on the plate is a cookie!

It was gorgeous, decorated with a thick layer of buttercream icing, it looked like it was inedible, but upon further review, it was absolutely edible. "As if I don't have a hard enough time controlling the bad things that I already have in my house, there is this additional box, to deal with now," I thought. The next morning I was tempted to taste just a corner of the cookie. I took one look at the nutrition facts, so coyly hidden in the top of the box (so that when you open it you don't see the horrifying numbers) and decided that it was better not to taste it at all.

HERE IS THE REASON:

Serving Size: about 1/10 cookie (3 g) --yes that's right 1/10th of a cookie--who in the world eats 1/10th of a cookie!!!! SERIOUSLY
Servings Per Container: about 10 (you have got to be kidding me!)


And here's the kicker folks:

CALORIES: 140
CALORIES FROM FAT: 60

Its a dieters nightmare tied up with a little red bow. How nice. I think the message there was "Hey I am getting married so everyone else --GET FAT--so I look gorgeous!"

Talk about sabotage.

Needless to say--I threw it out this morning.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Wow! Was she trying to give you a heart attack? Sadly, I would have eaten it all :(

runny_yolk said...

60 grams! That's insane - but a lovely cookie...

I have one of those women at my work too - she never eats anything and is like 95 lbs. yet always thinks she's fat! AND she's always the one to bring in all the goodies too...

Terri said...

That cookie is a nightmare. If I understand correctly it is 5" by 7"
about the size of a regular greeting card. 140 calorie per serving and 10 servings. I had looked at this greeting card near me and try to see what 10 servings would look like and you know, that is one horrible cookie!! I would float that cookie to the trash bin or took it to my folks house and share it. usually something I do, to make sure I only have one serving.